What is Magento?
Magento is a flexible award-winning open source ecommerce platform that is taking the web design world by storm. It gives your business enterprise level ecommerce features without the enterprise level price tag. By using this powerful and versatile system as the basis for all of our ecommerce websites we are able to provide our customers with an incredibly advanced online retail store at a fraction of the price it would normally cost to have those features developed. Websites that would have cost £100k a few years ago are now available at a fraction of that price, giving you the means to compete with the big retailers.
A comprehensive feature list can be found on the Magento website, but some of the key selling points as to why our clients choose Magento include:
- powerful attribute based product catalog functionality - this makes Magento the perfect choice for selling anything from a simple t-shirt, to a complex computer with customisable technical specifications.
- rules based promotions and coupon functionality - set up promotions based on a seemingly endless string of rules. Also includes support for buy X get Y free offers.
- multi-store functionality - different websites can all be managed from the same Magento back-end. This could include a completely new site, or a geo-location target such as a US store in US currency, or a French store in Euro’s and french language.
- modular architecture - Magento is modular software, this means that you build on top of it without ever changing the core code. This prevents issues in future with upgrades, and also means that there are 25,000 extensions out there that can be quickly and easily plugged into your site.
- enterprise level ecommerce features with minimal outlay - features such as product reviews, layered navigation, product tagging, feature rich customer accounts and superb back-end administration out of the box.
- search engine readiness - Magento is one of the most SEO friendly ecommerce applications on the market. However it is not perfect, and we always make a point of installing things like cannonical URL’s to iron out some of the kinks in the way Magento is build.
- strong Google Analytics integration - full ecommerce reporting in Google Analytics is included in Magento as standard.